Gustave Doré: The Vale of Tears (1883)

(Petit Palais, Paris, France)

A painting from one of my favorite artist - Gustave Doré (1832-1883). Doré was a French artist who is tdoay most known for his engravings for books like the Bible, the Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, Paradise Lost, the raven and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. This painting was inspired by a scene from the Gospel of Matthew:

28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 
29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
(Matthew 11:28-30)

Doré shows a mountainous landscape (symbol of the ascent that one must make to reach Dod) filled with a suffering large crowd: kings and beggars, children and the elderly, men and women. Christ with the cross, surrounded by an aura of Holy light, appears and invites them to follow Him on the difficult road ahead to salvation: the light will triumph over the pain and death. Painting from 1883