Cornelis Anthonisz.: Map of Amsterdam (1538)
(Amsterdam Museum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
A famous painting by the Dutch artist Cornelis Anthonisz. (1505-1553). This is the oldest map of Amsterdam and shows the city in the year 1538. Amsterdam had about 12,000 inhabitants back then (this would grow to 200,000 late 17th century). The town is surrounded by a medieval wall with a moat (now the Singel canal, Kloveniersburgwal and Geldersekade). The city is presented with the North at the bottom, South is at the top. The water at the bottom is the IJ whcih connects to the Zuiderzee. The water that separates the city in the Oudezijds (left side) and Nieuwezijds (right side) is the Damrak. The bridge at the bottom the New Bridge, Amsterdam Central Station is now located just below it. Further up are the Old Bridge and the papenbridge. In the middle of the city you can see the Dam Square with the Old Town Hall with the Exchange Bank (both completely burned down on 7 July 1652) and the New Church. The part at the Damrak which connects the two city halves together is Damsluis and and the fish market (the U-shaped complex) - the National Monument and the Bijenkorf are now located here. Also visible in the city are the Old Church, Saint. Anthonygate (now the Waag on the Nieuwmarkt). The complex outside the city at the left bottom is the Lastage (now Nieuwmarktbuurt) and the Oude Waal - this was an industrial complex with shipyards, lumbermills and forges. The road from St. Anthony Dike to the left side is the St. Anthony Dike (now St. Antoniesbreestraat) - the St. Anthony Hospital was located here (today Mr. Vissersquare). The large tower bottom left is the Schreierstoren. Cornelis Anthonisz. furthermore shows allthe monastaties in Amsterdam. Outside the city can see the Regulieren-Monastery. Within the city limits on the left side are more monasteries such as the Old Nunnery, St Ursula Monastery and the Bethaniënmonastry. At the top within the city walls is the Clarisse Convent and slightly below the Begijnenhof with the adjacent St. Lucien Monastery. The church left them on Rokin's Chapel in Holy Place / Nieuwezijds Chapel (demolished in 1908, today the Amsterdam Dungeon is located here). All monasteries of Amsterdam were closed after the Alteration of Amsterdam on May 26, 1578 when Amsterdam becameProtestant. This map was commissioned by the mayors of Amsterdam as a gift to the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V. This donation has never happened and the painting was hung in the town hall. Map from 1538.